OC-2 Octave by BOSS | Review | Introduction:
Originally published: 17/10/2014;
OC-2 Octave pedal by BOSS. A Bass players not-so-secret weapon!
The pedal produces extra octave sounds; either one or two octaves below the original note or both. It also has three knobs: –
- ‘Direct’ Level: the original tone blended with the effect;
- ‘OCT1’: (Octave -1) one octave below;
- ‘OCT2’: (Octave -2) two octaves below.
OC-2 Octave by BOSS | Production:
The pedal was sold from April 1982 and discontinued in September 2003. It was originally a much lighter non-metallic brown, and called ‘Octaver’.
The name changed to ‘Octave’ in early 1984, with the darker brown colour introduced about 12 months later.
As a guide, you might expect to pay between £75 and £90 for an OC-2 on the used market, in fully working condition, and with the original box.
OC-2 Octave by BOSS | Specification:
Controls: Octave 1 Level (Oct 1), Octave 2 Level (Oct 2), Direct Level;
Connectors: Input, Output, AC adaptor;
Current Draw: 4 mA (DC 9 volts);
Weight: 400 g (15 ounces).
- Here is a link to download a Free copy of the Manual
OC-2 Octave versus OC-2 Octaver by BOSS | Video:
OC-2 Octave by BOSS | In use:
I acquired my first OC-2 back in 1995, and I use it with ‘direct’ level knob turned full up, on almost everything.
Some +1 Octave up pedals produce a sound that’s too synthetic to my ear’s, but the OC-2 blends your original Bass tone, and either -1 or -2 Octaves below, which just sounds way better (at least on Bass).
I position the pedal just after my filter and before my modulation pedals because pitch shifting effects have a tough time handling a signal with too many other effects in front.
“I love the way this pedal thickens my sound. The OC-2 doesn’t track perfectly, but I think that’s why it works”.
OC-2 Octave by BOSS | Sounds-like:
You can’t judge low-end sound on laptop, tablet or phone speakers!
Please use headphones or ‘real’ speakers. The sound clips were recorded with;
- Jaydee Infinity Custom 4-string Bass (Active)
- Trace Elliot GP12VX preamp (set flat) into Tascam US-322 Interface
- DAW: Reaper 5 | 24 bit (44.1HZ) uncompressed
- BOSS OC-2 Octave | Made in Taiwan | December 1994
OK. ‘OCT1’ (-1 Octave below) in the pre-amp effects loop, with ‘Direct level’ turned to full on up: –
- ‘OCT2’ (-2 Octaves below) in the pre-amp effects loop, with ‘Direct level’ turned to full on up: –
- Lastly, both ‘OCT1’ and ‘OCT2’ (-1 and -2 Octaves below) in the pre-amp effects loop, with ‘Direct level’ all the way to full on up: –
OC-2 Octave by BOSS | The final analysis:
- Design and ease of use: 90/100
- Features: 80/100
- Reliability: 95/100 – built like a BOSS!
- Sound quality: 75/100
- Value for money: 85/100
- Overall score (non adjusted): 85/100 — An excellent pedal and recommended.
In summary, the BOSS OC-2 was one of the first pedals I put on my pedal board in 1995; I’ve tried a few others including the MXR Octaver Deluxe, and it’s still there!
InfinityBass.com | by Simon Edward | October 17th, 2014