Alter Ego V1 custom delay Review
Alter Ego V1 custom delay pedal. This is my overdue review of the first version Alter Ego custom delay by TC Electronic. In fact, this review is so long overdue that TC describe this pedal as a legacy product. But, better late than never!?
- Alter Ego V1 custom delay Review
- Further reading...
- TC Electronic Alter Ego Custom delay and looper pedal
Alter Ego V1 custom delay | Overview:
Alter Ego V1 custom delay | Operation:
- Hold down the foot-switch;
- With the foot-switch held down, play short steady 1/4 notes on your instrument. (The pedal mutes when you do this);
- Release the switch again.
Alter Ego V1 custom delay | Presets:
- 2290: The original classic delay from 1985. The cleanest delay imaginable.
- AN: Analogue delay. An old transistor bucket-brigade delay without buying the real thing!
- TP: Tape delay. A smooth old tape echo machine with its mellow and ‘warbling’ sound.
- ER: Echorec* emulation by Proguitarshop. A unique modulated delay, with a subtle Leslie speaker effect. It morphs into some great swirling upper harmonics at higher delay time settings.
- DMM: EHX Deluxe Memory Man* emulation by Proguitarshop. The nuances of the echo and the unique decay can be heard in its repeats.
- MOD: 2290 delay with modulation. Take the 2290’s pristine sound, and send it through three (!) chorus pedals… et voilà. Also, with the delay knob turned ‘OFF’, you also have a Tri-chorus pedal. Don’t tell any one ~ It’s a secret!
- PP: Ping-pong delay. The repeats jump from left to right (provided you’re using both outputs for a stereo signal). The effect is really wide. It sounds great in mono, too.
- SLP: Slap back delay. A delay type for all things country or as an alternative to reverb.
- RVS: Reverse delay. This is a classic effect which still seems to inspire people to try out new things. Try this: Turn the Mix knob all the way down to hear only the reversed signal (!).
- LP: Looper. Set the Delay type selector to ‘LP’ to use the built in audio looper. The duration of a loop can be up to 40 seconds in mono and 20 seconds in stereo, regardless of how many overdubs you make. The DELAY and REGEN knobs are inactive in Loop mode.
- TP: TonePrint. Set the Delay type to TP to use TonePrint. Here is a link to a handy guide
Alter Ego V1 custom delay | Technical spec:
- Controls: four knobs (includes one rotary) and a mini-toggle switch
- Connectors: Input x2, Output x2, AC Adaptor
- Input/output: x4 Standard ¼ inch jacks – mono/TS with automatic mono/stereo sensing
- Dimensions (mm): 50 x 72 x 122
- Current Draw: 9 V DC, centre negative >100 mA (power supply not included)
- Weight: 420 grammes (16 oz.)
Alter Ego V1 custom delay | In use:
Alter Ego V1 custom delay | Sounds like:
Alter Ego V1 custom delay | Citations:
- TC Electronic >> Alter Ego Custom Delay and looper pedal product details
- Article >> TC Alter Ego delay versus TC Flashback delay
- TonePrint Junkies >> https://www.tcelectronic.com/Artists/artist/toneprint-junkies
TC Electronic Alter Ego Custom delay and looper pedal
Design / Ease of use9.5/10
Value for Money9.5/10
- Four knobs (includes a rotary).
- Custom sounds, Looper and TonePrints.
- 5 years owned with no problems. Two years beyond 3 Year standard warranty.
- Some of the cleanest delays available.
- More features than most alternatives.